Friday, February 5, 2010

Hot chai for the soul

Ever since I can remember, chai tea has been a familiar companion through life's ups and downs. My father or mother would boil water, let the tea leaves steep for about 4 minutes, and add steamed milk and sugar.

At any family gathering, everyone would gather around in the afternoon for chai and a sweet or salty snack. When we visited India during my childhood, I'd hear wallahs in train stations chanting "chai chai chai" with a hypnotic cadence that sent my fingers searching pockets for loose change. In a world where nothing is permanent, hot chai soothes my body and lifts my spirits, no matter where I am. The ritual of making chai in my family hasn't changed much over the generations, so I feel connected in a small way to my ancestors when I brew chai.

Hot Chai Media is my way of carrying that positive energy over to my work in media. Here you'll find videos, mini-documentaries and other multimedia projects that I've worked on or directed, as well as updates on works in progress. Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment